About Broomfield - Location, History and DemographicsGovernment - City and County ServicesCommunity - Resident ResourcesHow Do I? - Find it FastA to Z - Service Listing
Click to Home

Go To Search
Insurance Requirements
Proof of Insurance Requirements

All motor vehicles are required to be insured.

Colorado law requires that if you drive a vehicle on public roads, you must have insurance on that vehicle.  Insurance companies are required to be licensed and authorized to sell insurance in Colorado.

**Note**  New residents to the State of Colorado, that have insurance from an out of state insurance company may use their out of state insurance for the first time registration.  Then they must obtain insurance from a company licensed or authorized to sell insurance in Colorado.

CRS 42-7-604, requires the State of Colorado to contract with a provider to develop and maintain a database of insured vehicles.  Any insurance company that writes vehicle liability policies in Colorado is required to report new policy holders and cancelled policies at least monthly to the provider.

CRS 42-3-105 (1)(d)(l).  This law, effective July 1999, states that the County Clerk and Recorder's Office shall not register a motor vehicle unless the applicant has a complying motor vehicle insurance policy pursuant to part 6 of article 4 of title 10, CRS or a certificate of self-insurance in full force.

Acceptable forms of proof of insurance are as follows:
  • The declaration page from the insurance policy.
  • An insurance binder or policy.
  • An insurance card for your vehicle.
  • A faxed copy, our fax number is 303.464.5862
  • Electronic copy via a smart phone

Any of the above mentioned forms of proof of insurance must include:
  • The effective date and expire date of coverage
  • The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • The make and year of the vehicle