Title, Registration & Establishing Residency

Establishing Residency

All motor vehicles and trailers owned or operated by a Colorado resident must be registered.
Requirements can be found at Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles.

Registering your Vehicle

All applications for vehicle registrations must be made at the Motor Vehicle office in the county where you reside.

Criteria used to establish residency in Broomfield County is:
  • Business Address - used when registering a business vehicle that is in a business name
  • Primary place of residence - used when registering a personal vehicle
  • When the place of residence or business does not apply, the address where the vehicle is primarily domiciled and maintained may be used.

Vehicle Purchased by Cash

When a vehicle is a cash purchase from either a dealer or a private individual you must bring the title and any applicable documents properly assigned to you. We

require a bill of sale

, either notarized or signed under penalty of perjury.

Financed Vehicle

If the vehicle is financed the dealership or your financial institution will file the necessary documents with Broomfield County. If the vehicle was purchased from an out of state dealer or you arranged your own financing with an out of state financial institution, the required documents may be sent to you. If that is the case, it is your responsibility to file the required documents to title and register the vehicle.

**Note** The owner must bring Proof of Insurance, Secure and Verifiable ID and emissions, if required to purchase license plates.

If you have recently sold a vehicle and the license plates for that vehicle are not yet expired, you may be able to apply the pro-rated portion of the ownership tax fee towards a new registration or renewal that is due.

New Resident Vehicle Registration

Licensing an Out of State Vehicle by New Residents

If you are a new resident to our state you will need the following documents to register your vehicle:
  • A Verification of Vehicle Identification Number Form (DR2698) completed by one of the agencies listed on the form
  • An emission test from an Air Care Colorado test station if applicable
  • Proof of valid vehicle insurance - must be Colorado insurance, and effective the date you are registering your vehicle.
  • Title to the vehicle or, if the title is held by a lien holder, a photocopy of the title or current out of state registration, vehicles from non-titling states or foreign countries should contact our office at 303.464.5888 for registration requirements.
  • Lease agreement if vehicle is leased
  • Proof of sales tax paid if applicable; dealer invoice, showing proof of taxes paid or be collected.