Mini HaHa Race Day Information
What to Bring to Race Day
Sunscreen! Snack and water!
Warm clothes that you can wear while you wait!
For the pool: swimsuit, swim cap & goggles, heat card
For the Transition area: towel, clothes, socks/shoes, race bib #
For the bike: your bike, water, helmet & sunglasses
For the run: shoes & water and your bib #
Wear your sunscreen!
Wear your bike helmet and clip it on before you enter the bike route!
Drink lots of water before, during, and after the race.
Follow all traffic and road rules and laws.
iPods or listening to music via headset is not allowed on the bike!
Cell phones are always a good idea to have on the bike route, just in case, but please do not talk and ride at the same time - stop to chat!
If you feel sick, faint, dizzy, or exhausted, do not push yourself! Please stop and rest at the water station or find some shade. We will have an ambulance on site for persons seeking medical attention.
You must wear your bib number somewhere on your body after completing the swim (Front or side of the body)! Shorts, shirt, or bib belt. You must have your number to finish with! You must also have your number written on your arm or leg with permanent marker - somewhere noticeable!
ParkingWe will be closing Spader Way (Lamar Street) between Midway and 1st avenue. These streets will be closed beginning at 7:15am until the bike race is over - approximately at 11:45am.
Parking will be available at the City and County parking lots across the street from the recreation center, as well as the Library and ball fields.
We recommend parking at the City of Broomfield parking lot and walking your equipment across the street especially if you need to leave before the race is over - the only way in & out is 3rd & Main and Community Park Drive & Main! Cars will not be allowed to leave the Bay Parking Lot or Senior Center Parking Lot until the bike leg is finished and the roads are re-opened.
(Download a parking map here)
Mini HaHa Triathlon TimelineSaturday, August 26, 2017
- 6:30-7:25 a.m.: Participants arrive to the Community to set up their bikes in the transition area, pick up their packets if need be, warm up in pool.
- 7:15 a.m.: All volunteers/police officers should be in place for the start of the race. All roads should be closed off to traffic. Transition area needs to be cleared.
- 7:30 a.m.: First heat of swimmers begins in the pool. Each heat will start every 5-10 minutes apart - depending upon when the heat in the pool ends - the next heat will begin. All participants who do not finish within the ten-minute time frame will be asked to exit the pool to start the bike route. There are 16 total heats for a total time approximate time of two hours and forty minutes in the pool.
- 7:34 a.m.: First heat of swimmers will exit pool and enter the bike route.
- 10:10 a.m.: Last heat will begin in the pool
- 10:20 a.m.: Last heat will enter the bike route
- 12-12:30 p.m.: Last biker to finish the bike route. After last biker completes course, a city vehicle or police officer will follow and the roads may reopen after last biker has passed the closed streets. Cones and signs can then be collected!
- 12:30-1 p.m.: Last runner to finish the course!!!
Finish Line Celebration:
- 10 a.m.: Bay Aquatic Park Opens - be sure to bring your two free passes for your family members!
- 11 a.m.: Shifty Gears Band will begin playing in the Bay!
- 12:30 p.m. (or race finish): Awards ceremony and raffle prizes!
- 5:45 p.m.: Bay closes for the day!
Swim Heat Start Times
All Times are Approximate!
Heat #1: 7:30 a.m.
Heat #2: 7:40 a.m.
Heat #3: 7:50 a.m.
Heat #4: 8:00 a.m.
Heat #5: 8:10 a.m.
Heat #6: 8:20 a.m.
Heat #7: 8:30 a.m.
Heat #8: 8:40 a.m.
Heat #9: 8:50 a.m.
Heat #10: 9:00 a.m.
Heat #11: 9:10 a.m.
Heat #12: 9:20 a.m.
Heat #13: 9:30 a.m.
Heat #14: 9:40 a.m.
Heat #15: 9:50 a.m.
Heat #16: 10:00 a.m.
Heat #17: 10:10 a.m.
Each heat will run every 5-10 minutes beginning at 7:30 a.m. If you do not finish your swim in 10 minutes, we will ask you to exit the pool and move on to the bike! We will have two heats in the pool area at a time - one heat swimming in the pool, the next heat waiting on deck. All other heats need to remain in the gym until they are called and brought into the pool area. This is for everyone's safety and comfort - please be courteous of the other participants. Please arrive 30 minutes in the gym prior to your start time!!! Heats 1 & 2 should report to the pool area!
Optional arrival times!!!
Heats 1 - Heat 8 must arrive between 6:30 - 7:15 a.m. to set up their bikes and equipment in the transition area.
Heats 9 - 15 may arrive between 6:30 - 7:25 a.m. or they may arrive late - between 8 - 9 a.m. to set up their bikes and equipment in the transition area.
Please note: If you choose to arrive later than 7:15 a.m. - you will have to park across the street at the City & County Building / Police department, or at the library. You will have to look for a volunteer along the course to help you across the street safely so you are not interfering with other racers. We will let you into the transition area only on the south side of the parking lot (see map). A volunteer will be posted at the entrance site to help you locate your bike rack for set up - look for the pink signs on the white fences. Please be considerate of the other racers - watch for them so that you do not interfere with their race!!!
- You may begin warming up in the pool at 6:30 a.m. until 7:25 a.m. The first heat of the swim will begin promptly at 7:30 a.m. Heats will begin after the end of the previous heat - not to exceed 10 minutes. If you do not finish the swim within the 10 minutes, you will be asked to stop and exit the pool to begin the bike ride - there is no penalty for this!!!
- Each participant will receive a heat number and lane number for the swim. You will be heated with like swimmers according to your predicted swim times. The heats will be seeded alternating between fast/slow heats according to predicted race times. For example, heat #1 and heat #2 will have swimmers with predicted swim times from 3-5 minutes. Heat #3 will have swimmers with predicted swim times of 10:00+ minutes. Heat #4 will have swimmers with faster swim times, and so on.
- We will have 2 heats in the pool area at a time - one swimming, and one on call on the sundeck. All other heats will wait in the gymnasium until called. The last heat should start around 10:00 a.m.
- Each lane will have five participants swimming in every heat. There will be an in water start for each heat from the deep end of the pool. Please decide who will start first, second, third, fourth, fifth in your lane. You will start approximately 3 or 4 seconds apart to give each participant starting space. Please wait to start when you hear the whistle blow!
- Participants will have to circle swim within the lane. Participants must swim down on the right side of the lane, and swim back on the left side of the lane. If you need to pass someone, you may pass in the middle of the lane or at the wall. If you know someone wants to pass you, please be considerate and move off to the side until they pass.
- Participants will each swim 12 lengths of the pool. You may stop and rest on the end walls of the pool but please be courteous to others and stay out of other swimmer’s paths to the side of the lane. Please try to wait to stop until you reach the end of the lane on the wall instead of stopping in the middle of the pool.
- Any stroke may be used and you may switch strokes if you so desire throughout your swim. No floatation devices or other swim aides may be used during the swim. It is your responsibility to keep track of how many lengths you have completed to ensure that you completed the entire 12 lengths. You may have someone present in the pool area to help you count as long as they are off to the side of the pool.
Upon completion of the swim you will exit the deep end of the pool through the pump room double doors to the outside, east of the building. You will follow the path to the transition area (parking lot) where you will get your bike for the ride. There will be a water station as you exit the pool as well as one in the transition area.
2017 Route Map
- The transition area will open at 6:30 a.m. and will be cleared for the race start at 7:25 a.m. Please be aware of the other participants! Participant bikes will be set up in the recreation center parking lot. You will place your bike on the bike racks provided according to your heat number. There will be a maximum of eight to ten bikes per bike rack - four or five maximum per side.
- Optional arrival times
- Heats 1 - Heat 8 must arrive between 6:30-7:20 a.m. to set up their bikes and equipment in the transition area.
- Heats 9 - 15 may arrive between 6:30-8:30 a.m. to set up their bikes and equipment in the transition area. Make sure you are ready to go at least 30 minutes prior to your estimated start time!
- Please note: If you choose to arrive late - you will have to park across the street at the City & County building/Police department, or at the library. You will have to look for a volunteer along the course to help you across the street safely so you are not interfering with other racers. We will let you into the transition area only on the south side of the parking lot (download a map of the parking lot here). A volunteer will be posted at the entrance site to help you locate your bike rack for set up. Please be considerate of the other racers - watch for them so that you do not interfere with their race!!!
- At the transition area you may dry off, put on your shoes/socks, shorts, t-shirt, or whatever else you feel you need to do to get ready for the bike ride. No full changes will be allowed in the transition area. It is up to you to remember where your bike is located. Please remember to have your bib number somewhere on your body when you finish the race.
- You will not be allowed to ride your bike within the transition area. You must walk your bike to the end of the parking lot/transition area before you may begin riding your bike. After returning from the bike ride, you must slow down and exit off your bike at the entrance to the parking lot/transition area and walk your bike back to your bike stand before beginning the run.
- We require that all participants wear a bike helmet during the bike ride for your safety.
*We are asking everyone to be respectful of the other participants. Only registered participants are allowed in the transition area and only when you are competing or setting up prior to the event. We ask that you wait until all bikers have finished the bike leg and are out of the transition area, before you remove your bikes and equipment to leave.
The Bike Ride
- From the transition area, you will ride out of the Community Center parking lot, down to first avenue and up Main Street to begin the route. You will ride a 5.5 mile loop TWICE for a total of 11 miles.
- The roads, with the exception of Spader Way will not be closed to traffic. We will have cones placed on the course on the right side of the road. We will have volunteers along the route to help cheer you on and point you in the right direction. We will also have police officers posted along the route to help with traffic lights and cars to help slow down traffic.
- Please follow all traffic rules for your safety. Do not assume cars will stop for you. Please be aware of all traffic flows, stop lights, and turning corners. We want you to be safe and have fun! Please stay to the right hand side of the street to allow for other participants to pass you. There will be a water station located on 136th after the turn off from Main Street (after that long hill - you'll need it). Please make sure you slow down or stop at the water station if you want water and that you are out of the way of other bikers. There will also be a water station at the finish of the bike before the run.
- The ride will end at the same transition area that you started the ride. Please be aware that you may be finishing the ride while others are beginning their ride. Again, please be aware of other participants and slow down to exit your bike at the dismount zone.
From the transition area you will leave your bike and take off on the bike path in back of the Community Center. The path will be coned off and volunteers will be there to help you out. You may run or walk this route or a little of both. There will be one water station along the route. The run will end in the Bay parking lot at the finish! You did it - congratulations!
2017 Route Map